Monday, August 26, 2013

It's Me Against The Desk...and Gravity



     In order  to engage more effectively with my students, I had a habit of sitting backwards on student desks. Most schools have four legged chair/desk combos. Some schools have the chair with the desk that opens up on the right side and is suspended by the arm attached to the chair. The four legs are on the chair, not the desk. Anyone with half a brain would take one look at the chair with the desk appendage and see that attempting to sit on it is a pretty stupid idea.

     At one point I had a very small class of three students who were in need of extra support and attention. Two of the boys were from Jamaica, barely spoke English, and were having a terrible time at school. They were very nice but far enough apart in age that they should have been separated. Alas, they were not. Another student was a boy whose father was stationed at the nearby Hanscom Airforce Base. He had a rather southern twang to his voice but had come down from Maine. The three of them and me were all an awkward combination, no doubt about it.

     One fine day I went to sit on the desk, feet on the chair. I am what could be described as 'bottom heavy' and when I dropped all of my weight onto the desk, it teetered a bit. I was able to remain on the desk, but I looked at the kids and said, "Oh wow...imagine if I fell? I need to be more careful." They smirked and that was it...until the next day.

      As I stated above, a person with half a brain would never sit the way I had chosen to. A person with a full brain wouldn't have tempted fate by doing the same the very next day. Clearly I was void of both at that point because I threw one leg over the desk onto the chair and dropped my weight onto the desk as I brought  the other leg over. The other leg went over alright. As a matter of fact, they both did, right over my head. The minute I plunked my large, solid behind on the desk it was all over. The desk began to fall forward, so I was falling backwards. Instead of sticking out a leg and standing up to let the desk fall, I let the desk take me right over so that I fell in the chair in front of me, scraping my back as it slid down the seat and I landed on the floor, legs straight up, body in a perfect human V.

     At first the kids did nothing. They just stared, mouths agape, as I rolled over onto my hands and knees and pushed myself up. Thank God I was wearing pants. As I was untangling myself from the chairs and floor, I could only say, "It's ok. Ha ha, I'm fine! I'm fine!" and laughed awkwardly at what had just occurred. I mean, seriously -- what else was I going to do? My back was sore and I had been in probably the most compromising position those kids had seen and would ever see a teacher fall into. Unless, of course, they followed me in my career and saw the other times I bit it. They just sat and stared. No one asked if I was okay. They just stared. Finally I broke the ice and said, "It's okay guys, you can laugh. Go ahead--you might as well because if I were you, I'd be laughing." The boy from Maine was elated at the release of laughter he had been stifling. The other two just smiled.

     "I'm sorry Miss D, but that was funny. REALLY funny." Yeah, I know kid, I was the one on the floor. I gave my best smile, picked up my book, DID NOT sit backwards on the desk, and attempted to continue teaching. Later that day I told a fellow teacher about my stunt and asked her to look at my back. Sure enough, through her howling laughter, she exclaimed, "Oh my God! You have a huge scrape from your mid back to your ass!" It was tender, that is for certain, mainly because of the junk in the trunk, which has successfully saved me and preserved the rest of my body with it's excellent shock absorbing qualities. Thank God it was the only time I had to use it to cushion a desk fall. Falling down the stairs when my shoes were slippery on the bottom and I took out two students as I went down, that is another story entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment